Coordinating Conjunctions and Correlative Conjunctions
A conjunction joins words or groups of words in a sentence.
There are three types of conjunctions:
- I ate lunch with Kate and Derma.
- Because it is rainy today, the trip is canceled.
- She didn’t press the bell, but I did.
1. Coordinating Conjunctions
a. Connect words, phrases, or clauses that are independent or equal
b. and, but, or, so, for, yet, and not
2. Correlative Conjunctions
a. Used in pairs
b. both/and, either/or, neither/nor, not only/but also
3. Subordinating Conjunctions
a. Used at the beginning of subordinate clauses
b. although, after, before, because, how, if, once, since, so that, until, unless, when, while, where, whether, etc.
1. And—means "in addition to":
2. But—connects two different things that are not in agreement:
- We are going to a zoo and an aquarium on the same day.
3. Or—indicates a choice between two things:
- I am a night owl, but she is an early bird.
4. So—illustrates a result of the first thing:
- Do you want a red one or a blue one?
5. For—means "because":
- This song has been very popular, so I downloaded it.
6. Yet—indicates contrast with something:
- I want to go there again, for it was a wonderful trip.
- He performed very well, yet he didn’t make the final cut.
- She won gold medals from both the single and group races.
- Both TV and television are correct words.
- I am fine with either Monday or Wednesday.
- You can have either apples or pears.
4. Not only/but also
- He enjoys neither drinking nor gambling.
- Neither you nor I will get off early today.
- Not only red but also green looks good on you.
- She got the perfect score in not only English but also math.
Write the correct conjunction in each sentence.
1) my friend I are taking the geography class.
2) Do you want to go swimming golfing?
3) I studied grammar for a long time, I still make mistakes.
4) wood bricks can be used as homebuilding materials.
5) I wasn’t feeling well this morning, I had to go to work.
1) Both, and
3) but (yet)
4) Either, or
5) yet (but)