Interjections are words that express some kind of emotion. They can be used as fillers. Interjections do not have a grammatical function in the sentence and are not related to the other parts of the sentence. If an interjection is omitted, the sentence still makes sense. It can stand alone.
When you are expressing a strong emotion, use an exclamation point (!). A comma (,) can be used for a weaker emotion.
Directions: Choose the correct answer.
1) __________! I love your new haircut! It's beautiful.
2) __________! I'm sorry for the mistake. It's my fault.
3) __________! I stubbed my toe! It hurts a lot!
4) __________! Can you hear me?
5) __________! I forgot about the concert. I really wanted to go.
6) __________, I need to think about it. It's a big decision.
7) __________, I'm not sure what to do. I'm confused.
8) __________, I am coming to the party. Thanks for asking.
9) __________! You cannot have it. It's mine.
10) __________. It's not mine. You can borrow it anytime.
b. NopeDirections: What would be an appropriate response?
1) I got a 100% on my math final.
2) I fell down and broke my arm.
3) You didn't lock the door.
4) Did you like my performance? You haven't said anything.
5) What is your decision? Don't keep me waiting.
Quiz 1 Answers
1) a. Wow
2) a. Wow
3) a. Ouch
4) b. Ouch
5) b. Darn
6) b. Well
7) b. Um
8) a. Yes
9) a. No
10) b. Nope
Quiz 2 Answers
1) c. Wow!
2) a. Ouch!
3) b. Oops!
4) a. Um.
5) a. Hmm.