Past unreal conditionals are also known as third conditionals. The past unreal conditional expresses a hypothetical situation in the past. Hypothetical means not real or being in an imagined situation. Past unreal conditionals indicate if this had happened, that would have occurred. But in reality, the event or action did not occur.
Past unreal conditionals make hypothetical statements then show what would have happened in such situations. Sentences use "if" to make a hypothetical statement then expresses a hypothetical end result. "If" can be used to start off a sentence or be used to join two clauses. Only "if" is used with past unreal conditionals because it is describing a hypothetical or imaginary situation. You cannot use "when" in these sentences.
Directions: Choose the correct answer
1) If you had called first, ____________________.
a. I would have waiting for you
b. I would have waited for you
c. I would have wait for you
2) If you had arrived earlier, ____________________.
a. you would have seen the President drive by
b. you would have saw the President drive by
c. you would have seeing the President drive by
3) If had left earlier, ____________________.
a. I would have avoiding the traffic
b. I would have avoided the traffic
c. I would have avoid the traffic
4) If you had told the truth, ____________________.
a. I would have believing you
b. I would have believes you
c. I would have believed you
5) If we had bought that house, ____________________.
a. we would have been next door neighbors
b. we would have being next door neighbors
c. we would have becoming next door neighborsDirections: Choose the correct answer
1) If I had known this would happen, I would have __________ the party.
2) If I had __________ to you, I would have gotten the job.
3) If you had __________, you would have met my new girlfriend.
4) If they had __________ for Helen, they would have been late.
5) If you had written to me, I would have __________.
Quiz 1 Answers
1) b. I would have waited for you
2) a. you would have seen the President drive by
3) b. I would have avoided the traffic
4) c. I would have believed you
5) a. we would have been next door neighbors
Quiz 2 Answers
1) b. cancelled
2) a. listened
3) c. stayed
4) a. waited
5) b. replied