Percentages refer to a portion or a fraction of a whole. A percentage is an amount that is expressed as a certain portion of 100 parts. The symbol for percent is %.Percentages in Written Form
Percentages in written form use cardinal numbers. Percentages in numerical form use the number and the % symbol.
Percentage as a Collective Noun
- 10% = ten percent
- 25% = twenty-five percent
- 75% = seventy-five percent
- 100% = one hundred percent
The word "percentage" is a collective noun. A collective noun indicates a group of people. Depending on the noun used with "percentage", it will determine if you use a singular or plural verb form.Correct:
What percentage of students are going to college?Incorrect:
What percentage of students is going to college?Correct:
Fifty percent of marriages end in divorce these days.Incorrect:
Fifty percent of marriages ends in divorce these days.Correct:
Eighty percent of the house was damaged by the fire.Incorrect:
Eighty percent of the house were damaged by the fire.Percentage Used Later in a Sentence
If "percentage" comes later in the sentence, the verb will depend on the noun it is referring to.
- John is donating one hundred percent of his profits to charity.
- Susan is only working fifty percent of the time.
Directions: Choose the correct answer.
1) Only sixty percent of the students at this school __________ graduating.
2) Thirty percent of the children __________ hot dogs.
3) Bill __________ doing ninety percent of the work while his partner is fooling around.
4) Candace __________ being outdoors one hundred percent of the time.
5) The computer only __________ fifty percent of the time.
6) Only sixty-five percent of the registered voters __________ in this county.
b. votesDirections: Write in the number.
1) seven percent
2) fifteen percent
3) twenty-eight percent
4) forty-one percent
5) fifty-five percent
6) seventy-nine percent
7) eighty-eight percent
8) ninety-nine percent
9) one hundred and fifty percent
10) one hundred and twenty-five percent
Quiz 1 Answers
1) b. are
2) a. like
3) a. is
4) b. enjoys
5) b. works
6) a. vote
Quiz 2 Answers