A mood shows the writer's attitude toward what he or she is saying. "Subjunctive mood" expresses a doubtful condition (contrary to fact) and is sometimes used with the "if" clause. It can express wishes, doubts, suggestions, conditions, possibilities, etc. A verb in the subjunctive mood may have a different form.Subjunctive Mood - Common verbs
The following verbs often attract the subjunctive mood: ask, doubt, recommend, suggest, wish, insist, order, commend, request, and demand.
Subjunctive Mood - Verb form using "Were"
- I suggest that you hire a lawyer.
- I doubt we will see her at the party.
Also in subjunctive mood sentences, the "be" verb in past tense "were" is used instead of "was" even with "I", "he", "she", or "it". It is grammatically incorrect to use "was" in these sentencesIncorrect:
If I was you, I would take any offer.Correct:
If I were
you, I would take any offer.Incorrect:
I wish I was able to speak English fluently.Correct:
I wish I were
able to speak English fluently.Subjunctive Mood - Other verb forms
The subjunctive for the present tense third-person singular drops the "-s" or "-es" so that it looks and sounds like the present tense for everything else.Incorrect:
Our suggestion is that everyone on the team does the survey.Correct:
Our suggestion is that everyone on the team do
She recommended that each student takes a note.Correct:
She recommended that each student take
Directions: Choose the correct answer.
1) If I __________ you, I would buy the car.
2) If you had __________ earlier, you would have met my friend.
3) Our recommendation is that everyone __________ a copy of their passport.
4) I wish I __________ a good cook.
5) We ask that everyone __________ a review of the product.
b. writesDirections: Select the sentence that is in the subjunctive mood.
1) a. If I were you, I wouldn't buy that house.
b. I am not buying that house.
2) a. She heard the news.
b. If she were listening, she would have heard the news.
3) a. I am very organized.
b. I wish I were more organized.
4) a. I recommend that you read the directions first.
b. Read the directions carefully.
5) a. I insisted that people take their shoes off before entering the house.
b. Please take your shoes off before entering the house.
Quiz 1 Answers
1) b. were
2) b. arrived
3) a. make
4) b. were
5) a. write
Quiz 2 Answers