Many people learn that adverbs only describe or modify verbs. But we can also use them to describe adjectives in more detail.
We do this when we want to add feeling to our language or when we want to be more specific about what we mean.
The word "really" is an easy example of an adverb modifying an adjective.
We can do the same thing with more advanced words. We just put the adverb before the adjective.
Take a look at some examples.
- It is surprisingly hot.
(=I didn't expect it to be this hot.)
- I am physically tired.
(=My body is tired.)
- I am mentally tired.
(=My mind is tired.)
- She is amazingly talented.
(=It amazes me how talented she is.)
- We are unbelievably good friends.
(=We are very good friends.)
As you continue to study English, you will see the same adverbs and adjective combinations used together. Here are some of the most common ones.
- financially responsible / irresponsible
- emotionally stable / unstable
- physically tired = physically exhausted
- mentally tired = mentally exhausted
- mentally challenging / physically challenging
Remember that we do not need to use this a lot, but it is a great way to add more detail, be more specific, or add some emotion or feeling to our language.
Here are some more example sentences.
Here is some extra practice to help you improve your English speaking and English grammar. Answer the questions below with your own answers and then try making your own questions and sentences using the grammar we studied in this lesson. This will help you improve your English.
- She is not financially responsible, so she shouldn't have a credit card.
- My body feels fine, but I am just mentally tired. I am not sure why.
- The weather was extremely hot.
- She was unbelievably rude to us.
- The jacket was ridiculously expensive.
- The baby was surprisingly well-behaved during the flight.
When are you physically tired?
When are you mentally tired?
When is a time that you were extremely angry?
Are you financially responsible?
Is it unbelievably hot in your country?
What is something that was surprisingly good?
What was something that was ridiculously expensive?