Double comparatives show a cause and effect relationship. They are great for showing trends as well as the relationship and connection between two things.
Double comparatives are difficult for English learners, so pay close attention to the examples and try making your own sentences after you study this lesson.
Here is how you make a double comparative sentence. The + Comparative 1...... + the + comparative 2.....
Comparative 1 is the cause. Comparative 2 is the effect.
This is difficult for English learners because the comparatives go at the beginning. The word order is different than a normal sentence.
The easiest way to learn this is to look at many examples. Important: Do no use continuous verbs with double comparatives.
- The hotter the weather, the more water we should drink.
- The harder I study, the better grades I get.
- The more you practice, the faster your English will improve.
- The higher the interest rate, the fewer people get loans.
- The higher the price of milk, the more people drink water.
- The more education people get, the less likely they are to get married early.
- The better the quality of health care, the longer the life expectancy.
- The longer the movie, the more likely I am to fall asleep.
- The longer people wait to get married, the fewer children they have.
- The bigger the house, the more expensive the house is.
- The harder people work, the more successful they are.
- The less developed a country is, the lower the life expectancy.
- The younger you are, the easier it is to learn English.
- The sooner we leave, the earlier I can sleep.
- The more expensive the restaurant, the better the food.
This grammar is also used in many short expressions. I highly recommend learning these short and simple expressions.
This grammar is hard but knowing it well can help you express complex ideas in English and makes you sound like a fluent English speaker.
- The bigger the better.
- The sooner the better.
- The more the merrier.
(=The more people that come the more fun it is)
Learn to speak better English and improve your English grammar by simply doing this basic practice exercise. First, complete the sentences with your own answers, and then practice making your own sentences. Finally, try using this grammar in real life.
The more I study English, the _______________.
The more I eat, the _______________.
The older I get, the _______________.
The older my dad gets, the _______________.
The hotter the weather becomes, the _______________.
The _______________, the happier I get.
The _______________, the angrier I become.
The _______________, the more money I can earn.
The more money I earn, the _______________.
The better the education, the _______________.
The more pollution in a city, the _______________.
The _______________, the more stress I get.
The more stress I get, the _______________.
Do you need to Learn English Faster?
Do you want to speak English fluently?
The best way to learn English is now available!!! > > > The SKESL System < < <