We use "going + infinitive" to talk about the future. It is almost always the same as using "will".
- I am going to visit my family.
(=I will visit my family.)
- It is going to rain.
(=It will rain.)
- They are going to eat.
(=They will eat.)
It is possible to use the verb "to go" after "going to".
- I am going to go to the game tomorrow.
- She is going to go later.
"Going + infinitive" is used when something in the future has already been decided, arranged, or is expected to happen because of the situation now.
Here is the sentence pattern. Subject + be verb + going + infinitive...
- She is going to buy a new car next week.
- They are going to move to Los Angeles next month.
- He is going to go to college next year.
- I am going to watch a movie later.
- We are going to eat out for dinner tonight.
We can make negative sentences by adding the word "not" after the "be verb".
- I am not going to go to the concert.
- She is not going to travel this summer.
- They are not going to participate in the marathon.
We can use contractions in multiple ways.
- I'm not going to go.
- He's not going to come.
- He isn't going to play.
- They're not going to do it.
- They aren't going to watch.
We can make yes/no questions by putting the "be verb" first. Be Verb + subject + going + infinitive...?
- Are you going to leave soon?
- Is he going to come to the party?
- Is Mark going to be here?
- Are the managers going to attend the meeting?
- Are the children going to be hungry when they come back from school?
We can also use question words. Question Word + be verb + subject + going + infinitive...?
This is a very common and important English grammar point to know. It is used a lot by native English speakers, so you should spend a good amount of time studying and practicing. This free English lesson is a quick overview. The next lessons will have a lot more details and examples. Go to the next lessons to get a lot more English practice with "going to".
- What are you going to do this weekend?
- Where are we going to eat lunch?
- What time is the movie going to start?
- Why are you going to quit your job?
- How are you going to go to the beach?