Present continuous tells what is happening now or what is happening in the future.
We can make simple yes/no questions by putting the "be verb" first in the sentence. Be Verb + subject + verb(-ing)...?
- Are you working now?
- Is he going to the store later?
- Is mom cooking right now?
- Is mom cooking chicken for dinner tonight?
- Are you living with your family at the moment?
- Is he currently working as a manager?
Like other yes/no questions, there are long and short answers. Look at the pattern below. Are you going to the party tomorrow?
Is he working now?
- Yes, I am going to the party tomorrow.
- Yes, I'm going.
- Yes, I am. /
- No, he's not working now.
- No, he is not working.
- No, he is not. / No, he isn't.
A great way to learn English is to look at many examples and make your own. Example Questions
English Conversation 1
- Am I attending the meeting tomorrow?
- Am I going with you tomorrow?
- Am I bothering you?
- Am I making too much noise?
- Is he sleeping?
- Is Mark working tonight?
- Is Mary getting her haircut right now?
- Is the computer working?
- Is it raining?
- Is it snowing?
- Is the company going bankrupt?
- Is the war going to end soon?
- Is your company doing well?
- Is he playing with this son in the park at the moment?
- Is she creating a new design for the website these days?
- Are you getting ready to leave?
- Are you going on vacation next week?
- Are you eating with us tonight?
- Are you baking a cake right now?
- Are we leaving at 6 o'clock?
- Are they fighting?
- Are people worrying about the situation?
- Are the children playing at the playground?
- Are Tina and Sam watching a movie together tonight?
- Are the girls sleeping?
- Are the stores opening on Christmas?
- Are we eating spaghetti tonight for dinner?
A) Are you going to Karen's party now?
B) No, I am not going now, but I'm going later.
A) Why? I am going now. Let's go together.
B) I have to finish some homework. I am leaving after I finish my homework.
A) Okay. I will see you there. English Conversation 2
A) Is the conference being held in New York this year?
B) I don't think so. I think it is being held in London.
A) Are you going?
B) I think so. I usually go every year. Are you going?
A) I am very busy these days, so I am only attending if I have time. Learn to speak English fluently. Practice by finishing the questions below and then practice making your own questions. It is a great way to learn English. Tip: Say the questions aloud. This will help you practice speaking English and improve your English fluency.
Are you _______________ now?
Are you _______________ this weekend?
Is he _______________ at the moment?
Is he _______________ later today?
Is he _______________ next year?
Is she ______________ now?
Are we _______________ tonight?
Are they ______________ right now?