In this lesson, we will look at two other ways to use the present perfect.
The first way is to tell how many times we have done something or how many times something has been done. For example,
- I have been to China 3 times.
But, there is another way we can make this sentence. We can put the number of times first.
- This is the third time that I have been to China.
Here are some more examples.
- This is the first time that I have been here.
- This is the second time that she has come.
- This is the third time that we have met each other.
- This is the fourth time that they have told me that.
We usually use "this" in these sentences. When we use "that" we usually use the past tense.
- That was the first time that I met her.
- That was the second time that I met her.
- That was the third time that I went there.
Let's move on to our second kind of sentence. We can use the following sentences to express a hope or wish. Subject + have/has + always wanted to...Subject + have/has + always dreamed of...Subject + have/has + always prayed for...
These kinds of sentences can be useful when having a conversation in English. So, take some time and practice making your own sentences now. This will help you remember this English grammar point, and you will be able to use it more naturally the next time you speak English.
- I have always wanted to visit Paris.
- She has always wanted to be a doctor.
- They have always prayed for a chance to see their son again.