We will study how to use apostrophes (‘) in this lesson. Let's look at the different ways that we use apostrophes when we write in English.
1. To show possession or ownership
- Have you been to Karen's house?
- Did you see Mark's car?
- Bill's bag is red.
- John's family is nice.
- The girls' puppy is cute.
2. With contractions
Punctuation is essential for writing in English. Punctuation helps you express your thoughts, feelings, and ideas in a way that is easy for the reader to understand.
- It isn't hot.
- I'd do it.
- You've been thinking for a long time.
- We'll leave in 10 minutes.
- I should've bought it when it was on sale.