We will study how to use question marks (?) in this lesson. Let's look at the different ways that we use question marks when we write in English.
1. Use at the end of a question
- Do you understand?
- Is he old?
- Are you hot?
- Isn't this easy?
Remember that we do not use a question if we are using an embedded question or reported speech.
- She asked me if I like pizza.
- Tell me who stole my book.
2. With direct speech
Punctuation is essential for writing in English. Punctuation helps you express your thoughts, feelings, and ideas in a way that is easy for the reader to understand.
- "How did you get here?" she asked.
- They asked me, "What is your name?"
- "Have you been here before?" she asked.