We will study how to use semi-colons (;) in this lesson. Let's look at the different ways that we use semi-colons when we write in English.
1. Use instead of a period if two sentences are closely related
- I will call you later; we can discuss this issue then.
- We must leave now; Mark will meet us there.
2. Use with conjunctive adverbs
Punctuation is essential for writing in English. Punctuation helps you express your thoughts, feelings, and ideas in a way that is easy for the reader to understand.
- It will rain; therefore, I will stay in.
- She is nice; moreover, she is smart.
- You need to study; otherwise, you will fail the test.