In the last lesson, we learned how to make simple sentences with the English verb "to be". In this lesson, we will see how to make a negative sentence with the verb "to be". If you know how to make positive sentences with "to be", then this will be easy.
Use the word "not" after the "be verb" to make a sentence negative (-). "Be verb + not" acts like not equals sign (≠). That's it!
- I am a boy. I am not a girl.
- She is tall. She is not short.
- They are not hot. They are cold.
- The dog is cute. It is not ugly.
- Ben and Stacy are not doctors. They are nurses.
- The car is not expensive.
English Conversation 1
- I am not a student.
- I am not hungry.
- I am not interested in your offer.
- I am not happy with the results of my test.
- You are not a good liar.
- You are not happy these days.
- You are not a good friend.
- You are scared of spiders, right?
- We are not ready.
- We are not painters.
- We are not cousins. We are friends.
- Jane and I are not interested in cars. We are interested in art.
- Mark is not my brother. He is my cousin.
- He is not a funny person.
- He is not a web designer.
- David is not tired. He is excited and ready to go.
- She is not a chef.
- She is not excited about the party.
- Mary is not polite. She is so rude.
- Erin is not prepared for her trip. She is so unorganized.
- It is not finished.
- It is not funny.
- The movie is not scary.
- The dog is nice. It is not mean.
- They are not best friends.
- Karen and Sam are not happy. They are very sick.
- The women are not singers. They are dancers.
- Erin and Devin are not married.
A) Is she your sister?
B) No, she is not my sister. She is my boss.
A) Is she a good boss?
B) She is not a good boss because she always yells at everyone. English Conversation 2
A) How is this book?
B) It is not bad. You should read it.
A) Books are not fun. I like movies.
B) Try this book. You will like it. Practice speaking English and improve your English grammar by finishing the sentences below and then practice making your own sentences. It is the best way to learn English and improve your English fluency fast! Also, do not forget to try using it in real life. Tip: Say the sentences aloud. This will help you practice speaking English and improve your English fluency.
My home is not _______________.
My best friend is not _______________.
You are not _______________.
I am not_______________.
My boss is not _______________.
My hometown is not _______________.
The computer is not _______________.
This pizza is not _______________.
I am not _______________ because _______________.
This restaurant is not _______________ because _______________.
We are not _______________.
I am not _______________ after _______________.
I am not _______________ when _______________.
She is not _______________ when _______________.