If we start a sentence with this phrase, then we are telling the listener that this is what we think and it is not a fact. It is a different way to say "I think...".
- I think it is good. = In my opinion, it is good.
This phrase is almost always used at the beginning of a sentence. In my opinion, + sentence
- In my opinion, chocolate is the best flavor of ice cream.
- In my opinion, the government should pay for university.
- In my opinion, this company's benefits are unsatisfactory.
- In my opinion, she should get the promotion.
- In my opinion, self-driving cars are more dangerous than regular cars.
It is not very common, but we can change the word "my" to another person. We do this if we know another person's opinion and want to share it.
- In her opinion, the company's offer was not good enough.
- In their opinion, this neighborhood is the best to raise kids.
- In his opinion, that is not true.
- In Sharon's opinion, the project will be a huge success.
When speaking, we can add this expression to the end of our sentence. English is quite flexible when speaking. However, when writing, it is best to keep this expression at the beginning of the sentence.
- Children under 10 should not use smartphones, in my opinion.
- There should be severe penalties for companies who pollute, in my opinion.
- The subway is better to get around the city than taking the bus, in my opinion.
We can also use this similar expression in the same way. It is also the same as "I think that...".It is my opinion (that) + sentence
Bonus Tips and Points
- It is my opinion that the company doesn't invest enough in research.
- It is my opinion that the city should build more parks.
- It is my opinion that children should not be allowed to eat sweets at school.
- It is my opinion that our company should ban smoking.
- It is my opinion that she is not a good manager.
1. There are quite a few ways that we can express our opinion in English. The most common way is "I think...", but there are many other ways that are also used a lot. Do not use just one way. Mix it up and try using different expressions. This will make your language more interesting.
Here is a list of some common ways to express an opinion.
Real-World English Conversations
- I think that...
- I believe that...
- I feel that...
- In my opinion, ...
- It is my opinion that...
- As far as I am concerned, ...
A) What do you think about climate change?
B) In my opinion, it is the most important issue facing human beings.
A) Where should we go for vacation?
B) In my opinion, we should go somewhere quiet and just relax.
A) In my opinion, this house is overpriced.
B) I disagree. It is the same price as other houses in the neighborhood.
A) She is not an efficient worker, in my opinion.
B) I agree. I don't know what she does all day.
A) In my opinion, health is the most important thing in life.
B) I agree - health and money.
A) Why do you think she quit?
B) In my opinion, she was angry about not getting the promotion last year.
A) Why do you think our new product failed?
B) In my opinion, it was too complicated and consumers couldn't understand how to use it.
A) In your opinion, why do you think that our sales have dropped recently?
B) In my opinion, it is because we have stopped innovating. Our competitors have come out with new products and have been advertising aggressively.
A) That is a good point. Use these free English lessons to learn the most common sentence patterns in the English language. If you learn these sentences and questions, it will help you speak English well. Study the lessons thoroughly, practice making your own sentences, and come back to review often. If you do these three steps, your English speaking will improve quickly and you will be able to have natural English conversations.