This pattern is used to show that we need to do something now or that now is the right time to do something.
It is time + infinitive...
- It's time to go. = We need to go now.
It is time for + noun...
- It is time to say goodbye.
- It's time to stop talking and take action.
- It is time to go home.
- It is time for our yearly review.
- It is time for a change.
- It is time for new politicians.
We can be more specific about the person by adding "for + person". We can use a noun or pronoun. It is time + for + noun + infinitive...
- It is time for me to go.
- It is time for Mark to get a job.
- It's time for the children to do their homework.
- It's time for the trash to be thrown away.
Instead of using "for + person", we can add a new clause. It is time (that) + sentence
- It is time that I go.
- It is time that he gets a new job.
- It's time that the children do their homework.
We can make a negative sentence by using a negative "be verb". It is common to use "yet" at the end of these sentences.
Bonus Tips and Points
- It is not time to go yet.
- It's not time to do employee evaluations yet.
1. We can also use an adjective before the word "time" to be more specific. When we do this, we also need to add an article.
- It is a good time to invest in the stock market.
- It's a good time to be young.
- It is not a good time to be looking for a new job.
- It's a bad time to buy a house.
- It is an interesting time to be alive.
2. We can also add adverbs of frequency like "always" and "never".
- It is never a good time to smoke.
- It is always a good time to study English.
3. We can also make questions.
Real-World English Conversations
- Is it a good time to invest?
- Is it a good time to buy a house?
- When is a good time to visit?
- Why is it not a good time to go now?
A) Why are you late again?
B) My car wouldn't start again.
A) That happens at least once a week. I think that it is time for you to get a new car.
A) It's time to go.
B) Can we stay 10 more minutes, mom?
A) Okay, 10 more minutes, but after that, we are leaving.
A) I heard that it is a good time to invest in real estate.
B) I heard that too.
A) Do you think that it is a good time to start my own business?
B) If you have a good idea and a good plan, then it is always a good time to start a business.
A) It's time to leave.
A) We have to go now or we might miss our flight. Study these free English lessons to improve your English speaking. If you learn these common sentence patterns well, then your English speaking will improve greatly and you will be able to have fluent conversations in English in the near future! Study the lessons well, practice using them at home and in real life, and make sure to come back to review the material so you do not forget.