This expression is used to show that doing something is useless or worthless. The action has no value, so we should not do it. There is no point + gerund...
- There is no point crying.
- There is no point lying.
- There is no point leaving now.
- There is no point applying to that company.
- There is no point trying to talk to her.
If we want to give a reason, then we can either use "because" or can we can use a new sentence.
- There is no point crying because nobody cares about your feelings.
- There is no point lying to my wife because she will know.
- There is no point leaving now. We will never get there on time.
- There is no point applying to that company. It is impossible to get a job there.
- There is no point trying to talk to her. She always does what she wants to do.
Some people use the preposition "in" after the word "point". This does not change the meaning of the sentence. It is just a different way of saying it. There is no point in + gerund...
- There is no point in trying to lie to him.
- There is no point in crying over spilled milk.
- There is no point in explaining art to me. I won't understand it.
- There is no point in fighting. It won't solve the problem.
We can also use the following pattern with a noun. However, this pattern cannot be followed by a gerund. These sentences show that there is no reason or purpose for something. There is no point to + noun...
Bonus Tips and Points
- There is no point to life.
- There is no point to this work.
- Students think that there is no point to homework.
- There is no point to anything we do at this company.
1. There are many other words that we can use to show that something has no point, no value, or no use. There is no reason + infinitive...
It is useless + infinitive...
- There is no reason to cry.
- There is no reason to worry.
- There is no reason to think that something bad will happen.
- There is no reason to get angry before we know what actually happened.
- It is useless to complain about things that can't change.
- It is useless to worry about the future too much.
- It is useless to dream about being something that you can never be.
2. We can also talk about things in the past.
Real-World English Conversations
- There was no point in doing that. So, why did you do it?
- There was no reason to worry. I feel stupid for worrying so much.
- It was useless to try to convince him. He never listens to anyone.
A) Why do we have to do this?
B) I don't know. There really is no point to this work.
A) I hate my job. I hate everything about my life.
B) Stop it. If you are not going to try to change anything, then there is no point complaining every day. I am tired of listening to you complain.
A) I think there is no point exercising if you aren't going to eat well.
B) I disagree. If you don't exercise and don't eat well, then that is even worse. It is best to do both, but doing one is better than doing neither.
A) There is no point studying English. I will never learn.
B) What are you talking about? You just made an advanced sentence in English.
A) But sometimes I feel like I will never be as good as a native speaker.
B) You don't need to be as good as a native speaker. You just need to be an excellent English speaker. It is definitely possible for you. You just need to be persistent. Use these free English lessons to learn the most common sentence patterns in the English language. If you learn these sentences and questions, it will help you speak English well. Study the lessons thoroughly, practice making your own sentences, and come back to review often. If you do these three steps, your English speaking will improve quickly and you will be able to have natural English conversations.