"to binge-eat" / "binge eating" Meaning:
to eat a lot of food in a short period of time Similar Expressions
When do we use it?
- It is not healthy to binge eat.
- It is not healthy to overeat
- It is not healthy to eat a lot of food in a short time.
We use the word "binge" to talk about consuming a lot of something in a short period of time. The most common expressions are "to binge eat", "to binge drink", and "to binge watch".
Have you ever watched a TV show for like 10 hours? If yes, then you binged watched that TV show.
So, anytime we eat a ton of food in a short period of time, like eating 12 doughnuts, we can use this expression.
Sometimes, binge eating is actually part of an eating disorder and is a serious problem.
- She likes to binge eat and then throw up the food. It is not healthy for her.
But we also use this phrase to joke and make fun of ourselves.
How do we use it?
- All I did this weekend was binge watch TV and binge eat cookies. I must have eaten 3 whole boxes of cookies!
We can use this phrase as a verb, "to binge eat".
- You shouldn't binge eat.
- I want to binge eat some ice cream tonight.
We can also use it as a noun, "binge eating".
If you want to be great at speaking English, then you need to know a lot of English expressions, idioms, and slang. Studying with these free English lessons can help you do that. Study a few of these free English lessons each week and learn the expressions perfectly. If you do this consistently, then you will be amazed at how much your English vocabulary improves. You will be having fluent English conversations before you know it!
- Binge eating is bad for our health.
- She likes binge eating when she is stressed.