1. office rumor:
a story, gossip, or piece of news that may or may not be true that many people in an office or company are talking about
- Have you heard the latest office rumor?
- She is always spreading office rumors.
2. to lay off:
to fire or discharge a worker from a job (sometimes temporarily)
- The company laid off 100 workers last month.
- Do you think the company will lay off a lot of people?
more than 2 but not many
- I have been to several countries.
- We have been working on this for several hours.